About the job
As an Environment Artist you will create high-quality natural assets for PC and consoles. You are expected to take your assets all the way from conceptual mockups, to modeling and texturing, to final placement in the environment. We value a can-do attitude and senior developer's presence in the team, guiding more junior members both artistically and technically.
We are mainly looking for someone who is proficient with a realistic style, but it is a bonus if you can adapt to other art styles as well. You will work closely with our Level Designers and Game Directors to bring our game world to life, shaping it into a believable and immersive place.
Each team member at Arrowhead has an important influence on the game and is involved in the decision-making process. It is crucial that you can not only plan and manage your own work efficiently, but also have strong collaboration skills.
- Provide experienced guidance and feedback to your team members.
- Create organic nature assets such as vegetation, rocks and terrain, using SpeedTree, ZBrush, Maya and Substance.
- Help with world building and set dressing.
- Setup of destruction, and optimization to meet technical requirements and limitations.
- Coordinate with other studio groups including design and production.
- Work closely together with our tech-art department to improve workflows
- Work closely with the Game Director and Concept Artists to maintain a consistent world and support the visual direction of the game.
More about you
We’re looking for the artist who is driven by working towards completing the game and artistic goal, even more than focusing on the details. You’re good at communicating the artistic vision, self-critique your own work, and iterate on ways to improve the overall aesthetics. Ideally you have a few years of experience with creating high level art for big game projects and would like to move into a personal studio with a grand vision. We hope you have a lively passion for making and playing games!
- Expert skills in organic modeling and texturing, with an understanding of technical constraints and pipeline, and how it affects asset creation
- Strong ability to create and compose believable and realistic environments.
- Experience as a lead or senior artist on previous game projects.
- Experience creating art for AAA-level game projects.
- Proficiency with Maya, PBR workflow, and one or more current major game engines such as Unreal Engine.
- Strong understanding of form, environment composition, silhouette, detail distribution, and lighting.
- Understanding of shaders, either node based construction or code (hlsl).
- Willingness to learn tools, middleware applications, scripting and new techniques.
- Good collaboration and communication skills to work well with other departments.
- Good English communication skills (verbal and written).
- Good knowledge with additional industry standard art packages such as Z-Brush, Substance and Modo.
- Level Design and Scripting experience is a big plus.
- Completed side projects such as indie-titles, mods or equivalent.
- Programming skills.
- A visionary mindset when it comes to exploring game systems and architecture.
- Interest in management and production.
Scope: Full-time and permanent position
If you think that this position matches your background and skills, we would love to hear from you. We ask that your application always include relevant work samples or a link to your portfolio.